For the first three years of my walk with the Lord I was still quite unwell. I spent most of my day with Jesus pouring my heart out to Him, studying His word, creating art journal pages. Each night I went to bed and listened to worship music. I cried a lot, giving Him my pain and anguish. As I look back now I know what a blessing this time was, still being so poorly was hard but I know now what a privilege it was to have so much time to spend with Him.
Now I am in a different season of life, I am a Mum to a 1 year old and a 3 year old, I am still unwell but it brings different challenges than before as The Lord is so gracious is how much He sustains me and strengthens me to take care of my children and I am beyond grateful for all I have and can do now. But I have less time. A lot less.
I know I am not alone in this and I know that I am not the only one struggling so I have tried to come up with some ideas to help me to keep walking closely with the Lord in this time when I need Him so much.
- When my little one was around 5 months old I read a psalm a day on my phone as I couldn’t always sit with my bible but I always had my phone on me, so, when I was feeding or when a child fell asleep on me, I read that days psalm, picked a verse and shared it on Instagram. That way I quickly reminded myself of what I read that spoke to me that day. It was pretty successful so I might try to do it again now that summer is over and my 3 year old is back at preschool.
- Praying while doing things, changing nappies, playing trains, picking up toys, it doesn’t matter, if we can’t find a quiet spot to pray the Lord understands in 1 Thessalonians the word says:
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
So if we don’t know what to say, we can just say thank you!
- I sometimes like to listen to worship music and dance and sing with my children or just sing along which is a great way to fit in some worship time during a busy day, I find this really helps on those hard days when everything becomes overwhelming, just stop and do this.
There are loads of online resources as well, bible studies, devotionals, groups etc so I thought I’d share some that I’ve used.
- Our daily Bread have a 5 minute Bible study on most social media including facebook
- Hargraves Home and Hearth – Encouraging Women in their Everyday Life I just want to recommend this facebook page as she writes about what the Bible says it means to be a mum, and how we can allow the world to make us feel guilty.
- Mummy Meditations Community is a great fellowship on facebook of other Mums who are also trying to find ways to fellowship with Jesus during busy times they run a weekly study of just one verse and have lots of ideas to keep meditating on that verse despite life getting hectic.
- Meeting up with local Mums from church or local fellowship is also something that is worthwhile doing. Talking, praying studying the Bible with other christian Mums can be invaluable as a source of support.
- I have an audio bible that I think I might start listening to more, especially when I am resting with little A at naptime.
It has been a really long and hard summer, having 2 children is a lot harder plus both my husband and I now both have health problems. I guess I just wanted to reach out to anyone else who is struggling with finding time to spend with Jesus as it during these times we need Him the most!
If like me you are a busy Mum trying to juggle everything while dealing with poor health if you don’t read anything today please read this:
He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
He understands and has no desire to burden us further.